Dunrobin Castle Station
 

 

A Bit of History

A Photo in an issue of 'The Tatler' from October 1903 - but taken, probably, late in the 19th century. This shows the original station building which was replaced in 1902.

The carriage shed can just be seen in the distance and the bay road and loading ramp is clear at the far end of the platform.
 



Dunrobin Castle Station
 

Dunrobin Station (more recently re-named Dunrobin Castle) was built as, and remains the private railway station of the Sutherland family. However everyone can use the ScotRail trains which serve the station. Dunrobin castle is the family seat and the castle is just a short 5-7 minute walk down a drive from the station.
 


Dunrobin Castle
 

The station is served by Scotrail trains on the Far North Line from Inverness to Thurso and Wick. The station is only open from 1st April-15th October which coincides with the opening dates of the castle to the public. Please note that it is a request stop. Passengers on the train should advise the guard that they wish to get off at Dunrobin on joining the train. Intending passengers should out their hand (like at a bus stop) to indicate to the driver to stop. Please make this indication clearly and as soon as the train becomes visible so the driver has the best possible notice.

Click here for the timetable.
 


LMS Stanier Class 8F 48151, pulling 'The Great Britain' rail tour, passes Dunrobin Castle station
 

The present station building is the second to be on the site having been built in 1902 during the time of the fourth Duke of Sutherland. Rather surprisingly for the Scottish Highlands it is built in the English Arts & Crafts manner in a “ Cottage Ornee” style.

 

Michael Portillo at Dunrobin Castle station
 


The station is home to a railway museum which contains many items of interest including from the Highland railway and its successors in the north of Scotland.

In September 2012 Michael Portillo filmed at Dunrobin station for his series "Great British Railway Journeys". The programme was  shown in January 2013. Whilst filming he also officially opened the newly restored cloakroom.