HISTORY
 

The holiday coach is not the first at Loch Awe station. A traditional (and very spartan) camping coach was located in 1952. It proved so popular it was joined soon after by a second.

Above are photographs from a British Rail leaflet advertising Camping Coaches. These show one of the original coaches by Loch Awe.

The interior shot shows just how basic the facilities were.

 

However, the price to rent a Scottish Region Camping Coach for a week in the late 50s was quite attractive...!

A complete British Rail Camping Coach brochure for 1958  (opposite) can be viewed here.  (You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader for this.)

The Loch Awe coach is no. 19 on the map.

 

Camping Coaches were eventually scrapped by British Railways in 1971.

 

D5357 passing through Lochawe station, July 1962 - No sign of a camping coach!

- - - - - -

The  railway carriage presently on the shores of Loch Awe originally ran on the London to Edinburgh main line. It is a British Railways Mark 1, number 4494, built at York in 1956 and arrived on site in the 1980s where it served for many years as a café known as 'The Loch Awe Tea Train'.

Below are two postcard photographs of the coach in this previous existence!



             Loch Awe Hotel with the 'Tea Train' and steam ferry at the pier

The 'Tea Train'                                         
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The coach has been recently restored and converted by an enthusiast into this delightful and unusual self-catering holiday home as seen below.